The Trucking and Transportation Industry During the Covid 19 Pandemic
Trucking is an Essential Service. What kinds of commercial transportation are on the move?
Coronavirus and the nation’s response to the emergency are rapidly changing the transportation industry and the vehicles being financed in the United States. While several states are enforcing stay-at-home rules, transportation, and many other fleet-based businesses have been deemed essential services and have continued to operate.
Trucking and logistics keep medical supplies, groceries, cleaning and sanitizing supplies, and much more moving through the supply chain during the pandemic.
Fleets are currently trying their best to keep drivers and employees safe and healthy and stay compliant with regulations while continuing to operate efficiently.
What commercial vehicles are in high demand in the Covid environment?
- Refrigeration Trucks: Most groceries stores chains and produce companies are using these trailers a lot right now. A refrigerated trailer is a temperature-controlled unit. It is generally used for transporting chilled or frozen products. The temperature inside the trailer can be controlled no matter the outside weather conditions.
- Conestoga trailers: These trucks are also in high demand within grocery stores as well as the pharmaceutical industry, and medical supply distribution. The truck comes with a rolling tarp system that is used to cover and uncover the trailer and gives protection to the freight. The benefit of a Conestoga trailer is that the tarp can be rolled back to allow side loading or unloading of freight.
- Dry van: This truck is commonly used as well in grocery stores, pharmaceuticals, medical supply distribution, and cleaning and sanitizing supply. Dry Van trailers are generally enclosed and are commonly used to carry and protect freight from the harmful elements of the weather or the roads.
- Flatbed Trailers: These trucks are popular within the cleaning and sanitizing supply. Flatbeds are extremely popular and are widely used because they are very versatile. Generally, a flatbed is used to load freights on its tip, sides, and rear. With these capabilities, flatbeds have become a primary and leading asset of the trucking industry.
Leading Truck Manufactures:
- Freightliner – https://freightliner.com/
- Kenworth- https://www.kenworth.com/
- Peterbilt- https://www.peterbilt.com/
- International- https://www.internationaltrucks.com/
- Volvo- https://www.volvocars.com/us